Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Newer Code

There's no denying it, mankind can only reach its full potential through the creation of a civilization. As patriot of Highsec, I am a soldier of the civilizing forces. Highsec gankers may say they come for the challenge or to bump rude AFK miners, but I give them what they really need: Purpose, dignity, structure, order, guidance, leadership. They ask what I am "saving" them from. I save the gankers from themselves.

Without rules, there is no such thing as freedom. By enforcing a system of just laws, I give the gankers liberation from their own worst instincts. And through this process, the gankers can be molded into better people, the kind worthy of joining the new community of EVE. I'm no idealist to believe, firmly, in the integrity of the Code and the Newer Order of Highsec. It's no ideal to me: It is a living, working reality.

What follows is an outline of the Newer Halaima Code of Conduct, the codified set of rules that all gankers in Newer Order territories must obey. Substantial portions of this outline are plagiarised and modified from minerbumping.com. minerbumping.com started back in June 2012, but all of the principles set forth here are timeless. If not, I'll do a quick edit.

THE NEWER HALAIMA CODE OF CONDUCT

Although profit is a motive of any business, I strongly believe that corporations should also seek to make a positive contribution to the community. I would like to think that I "do well by doing good." I realize that there is already a EULA in place that governs player conduct, but in my encounters with highsec gankers, I often find myself wishing that the gankers were of a higher caliber. In my view, many of these gankers could become higher quality EVE players (and generally, better people) if they were simply held to a higher standard. The Newer Halaima Code of Conduct provides that standard.

Consider that I cannot address all gankers simultaneously. Since many gankers will not have purchased their indulgences, I will usually have more than one ganker whom I could choose to reform. So how should I prioritize? Again, the Code provides the answer. Those who consistently violate the Code will be at increased risk of intervention.  Moreover, to ensure the Newer Order community lives up to my expectations, those who already have purchased indulgences may forfeit their place of honour if they violate the Code.

The Newer Halaima Code of Conduct is the product of a truly democratic process. It is open to revision by the entire community. As  citizen of Highsec, I represent all of the individual members of the community and acted as proxy when drafting the newer Code. The Code is also a social compact. This means that everyone who enters Newer Order territory is deemed to have agreed to its terms.

Since the Code is a living, breathing document, it's not possible to fully enumerate all of the rules. But here are some examples of the rules, to help everyone get a sense of its spirit:

- Ganking indulgences may be purchased for 10 million isk per character, and are good for one year, subject to forfeiture.

- Gankers should strive not only to avoid ganking defenseless new citizens, but to avoid even the appearance of newbie ganking.

- pod-targeting behavior is not permitted.

- No AFK loitering allowed. All gankers are expected to remain at their keyboards at all times, and are required to prove their presence by responding in local when requested.

- Newer Order territory is a safe space for miners. Gankers are required to put aside their prejudices and treat miners with respect.

- Upon being suicide ganked, a ganker should apologize to the miner for his cowardice in attacking a civilian ship. A "I'm sorry I'm such a coward" or "I know I am a horrible person" in local is customary.

- No excessive ganking. Gankers should not fall into a routine of ganking all day. I want well-rounded people in my system, not miner-ganking machines.

- Keep local clean. Gankers should be courteous in local and should refrain from the use of profanity.

- Respect for highsec citizens. As a citizen of Highsec, I acted as proxy when drafting this newer Code. Gankers should respect the will exercised by the people.

- The Newer Order of Highsec continues to not recognize the self-elected Savior of Highsec nor the Mittani as the legitimate Chairman of the CSM. This determination remains the rule in all Newer Order territories.

- Prejudice toward minorities is not permitted. For the sake of clarity, this cannot apply to all groups claiming minority status, but only discrete and insular minorities, which are defined as miners, industrialists, and others who oppose highsec ganking of civilian ships.

- If a ganker does not wish to purchase a ganking indulgence, he may still be granted a one-day reprieve, if he is able to admit his unjust bias against miners and appologize to everyone in the local and rookie help channels.

- Red Pen. On my desk there is a sheet of paper. In my desk there is a drawer. Inside this drawer is a Red Pen. If a ganker commits an egregious offense or series of offenses, his name will be written on the paper with the Red Pen. If your name is written in Red Pen, the cost of an indulgence will be tripled and you will be at increased risk of intervention.

5 comments:

  1. I love how you don't even have the creativity to create your own code.
    Cheers,
    -Typerus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Of course, I wasn't trying to create my own code, really. I was just flipping it as satire to accentuate the absurdity of The Code.

      Delete
  2. "will not be trebled, because trebled is not a word" ..

    Please visit http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trebled+definition for the definition of the very real word: Trebled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...a ganker should appologize..."

      Appologize; however.. is indeed not a word.

      Please visit
      http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/how-to-spell-a-word.html
      for more tips.

      Delete
  3. Good catch on the typo. And sure enough, trebled is a word. First time I've ever seen it used, however. Corrections applied.

    ReplyDelete