Friday, June 20, 2014

What I've Learned From Gank Attempts In Null Space

So far in my experimental mining operations in null space, I have had 4 definite attempts by others to kill me.  One was successful.

Here is what I have learned from it so far (beyond what I already knew):

Align To Your Next Safe Spot


I don't know why this didn't occur to me previously.  But if you are jumping around between safe spots, at each safe spot, immediately align and get to max speed in the direction of the next safe spot.  That way, if they manage to find you and warp to your location before you were ready to make the next jump, there will still be a good chance of warping away.  If you have to speed up and align first, they will likely have you. 

Double Check Your Overview Settings When Using Dscan


This was a contributing factor in my one death so far.  I had the overview on the wrong tab and didn't see the combat scanners.  I also wasn't aligned to my next safe spot.  End result?  Dead Scott Bacon.

Cloaking Is Good


Aggressors are surprisingly persistent.  I was more in favor of the Procurer and Skiff before, but I'm really warming up to the idea of using cloaking, even though cloaking mining ships can't kill the rats.  It is so much easier when someone is after you to just find a safe spot and cloak than it is to play cat and mouse in a Procurer.  I've since switched my training priorities and now have training for Expedition Frigates ahead of training for Exhumers.

Drones Have Potential


I was impressed at how well my measily Hobgoblins 1 did against the guy that ganked my Procurer.  They got his Interdictor's shields almost down before he killed them.  If I had higher drone-related skills and stronger drones, who knows, maybe it would have been enough to run him off.


No comments:

Post a Comment