Saturday, July 26, 2014

Battleship - A New Hope

In my prior post I talked about going close range with my Battleship in L4 missions.  I eventually optimized to using pulse lasers with XRay crystals, based on the range I was most often fighting at while minimizing use of the microwarp drive to conserve cap.  I got my DPS up to a usable 475 DPS (originally starting at 305).  And you know what?  It was doable, but still a massive lengthy slog to get through a mission.  It takes a long time, I have to make multiple return trips to the station, and I go through a ton of cap boosters (doesn't help that I'm flying an Amarr battleship with no cap bonus).

I want to try something different until my skills are higher.  I want to use missiles!  Time to try a battleship missile boat.  Lucky for me, Amarr has an option -- the Armageddon.  Will this work better in a T1 equipped variant than my close fighting Abaddon?  I'm going to find out.  But I've got about a weeks worth of skills to train first.

In the meantime, I need to come up with another 300 million ISK to buy and outfit a new Armageddon.  I can play the market a little and sell some loot I've been holding onto.  What else should I do?  Should I mine or mission?  I'm going to go back to L3 missions.  And I had another idea.  Some will scoff at me for doing this -- but rather than let my Abaddon sit idle, I'm going to try it out on L3 missions.  Maybe I can get through them quicker in my T1 battleship than I can in my T1 battlecruiser.  I've tried a few already, and the results are encouraging.  I think the added firepower of the battleship will outweigh the difficulty of dealing with greater numbers of L3 frigates and net a better income overall.

UPDATE:  After running a series of L3 missions, at the moment it looks most efficient to have both a battlecruiser and a battleship on hand (which conveniently I already had).  Use the battlecruiser for the smaller missions that have rewards under 300K ISK / 500 LP, and use the battleship for the bigger missions that are more in the neighborhood of 700K ISK / 900 LP.  The smaller missions even a T1 battlecruiser can handle quickly and easily, and it can get there and back faster.   Also, for the battleship, consider freeing of a medium slot to fit a tracking CPU with tracking script.  Again, all of this is speaking from the viewpoint of a modest skilled pilot using mostly T1 equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment