Friday, August 1, 2014

Battleship - Missiles and Drones

With the Drone Avionics bug fixed in the 7/31 patch, it was time to try out a ranged missile and drone battleship -- the Armageddon -- to see how it compares to the close range Abaddon I used previously.  Unfortunately, sentry drones had a requirement I wasn't expecting, and I can't use them yet.  Doh!  So I settled for medium drones.

With a ranged missile and drone boat, there are several range aspects to look at:   targeting range, missile range, drone command range, and for sentry drones, the drone optimal and falloff range.  With my extremely limited skills, here is what it initially looked like for me:
  • Targeting Range:  71.5 km base, 109 km with scripted sensor booster
  • Cruise Missile Range:  65 km
  • Drone Control Range:  40 km base, 80 km with 2 Drone Link Augmentor I modules
  • Sentry Optimal/Falloff:  Didn't check, can't use them yet.
Missile range was the worst, but it was also the easiest to fix.  I had none of the missile support skills yet.  Simply training Missile Bombardment and Missile Projection up to level 1 boosted missile range up from 65 km to 79 km.  And that's just level 1.  

DPS with 5 meta 4 cruise missile launchers and medium drones started at 330.  Not good.  But I tried a mission anyway.  The results were encouraging.  I never had to flee the battle, and I didn't even have to use the MJD I had equipped.  However, I was careful to know the triggers for missions spawns and used mission specific hardeners, so that always helps.

All in all, I really like it.  If I train up my support skills and get sentry drones up and running, I think this will be an awesome way to do level 4 missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment