Saturday, January 3, 2015

Is Ganking Bullying?

I'd like to make a quick post regarding the "Ganking Is Bullying" crew and what they have to say.  Some members of CODE have been suggesting that the Ganking Is Bullying blog is my blog, or have associated me with them in some way.  I would like to officially state that the Ganking Is Bullying blog is NOT my blog.  Furthermore, I have no association with their crew nor do I even know who they are.

That said, I have read the one blog post on that blog.  It makes a case as to why ganking is bullying and reads like a FAQ.  If you are wondering my opinion on it, I would say it's a reasonable argument, but only for ganking that pushes the role play boundaries too far and intentionally attacks the person behind the screen and not just his or her character and ship.  But maybe that is how they define ganking.  So it depends on how you define ganking.  By my own definition, not all ganking is bullying.  Some of it is just playing the game.  But intentionally try to attack the actual person behind the screen emotionally and it becomes bullying.  That's where I stand on it.

I do wonder why anyone troubles to make such a blog, though.  Even if their argument is sound, who is the audience?  A bully will not be swayed by their arguments.  Do they believe that some people are being bullies without realizing it?  Maybe, but I don't believe you will convince such people that they are actually being bullies.  I think they need a different strategy.  Some other way to persuade people to change their behavior, if that is their goal.  But some bullies will always be bullies.  They need to also help people learn how not to succumb to bullying tactics.  If they haven't tried that, they should. 

1 comment: