Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pilgrimage to B-R5RB: Graveyard of Titans

It's a dangerous voyage deep into lawless null space.  A battle was waged in system B-R5RB.  One of the biggest battles in Eve history.  The battle was of such scale, that a monument was erected to commemorate it, with tens of ship wrecks left in space indefinitely for travelers to see.  I traveled there to see it myself, and thought I would share a few notes on the trip.

The monument is called Titanomachy.  You can see it on the Overview, assuming you have it set up appropriately.  I brought scanning equipment along in case the monument had to be scanned down, but such was not the case.  As you engage warp for the monument, you are provided a small informational window about the site.  The monument itself is one of those jellyfish-looking space structures, and it is surrounded by ship wrecks of Titans, Dreadnaughts, and Carriers.


The trip there is not without peril.  The closest high security space is about 15 jumps away, and you may encounter gate camps on your way there.  Be careful with what ship you choose to fly there, use a clone with no expensive implants, and whatever you fly, bring a cloaking device.  If not on the way, you will want to cloak once there to take a look at the site in relative safety.

I considered flying a Covert Ops ship, but ultimately decided to go with an Interceptor for it's immunity to warp bubbles and high speed.  Still, my first attempt to visit the monument ended with a ship wreck of my own.  Even with an Interceptor fitted with 2 Nanofiber Internal Structures, a Test Alliance gate camp was able to lock, warp disrupt, and kill me on my way.  I changed up my fit, adding two warp core stabilizers, necessarily dropping one of the two Nanos but keeping the other, and intentionally hit the same gate again to test if my revised fit could break through the gate camp.  However, when I got there again the gate camp had diminished quite a bit, and I passed through with ease, not really giving the new fit a solid test.  (Update -- based on the helpful comments, an effective strategy for getting past even the best of gate camps is ensuring you have an align time under 2 seconds; based on EFT, I could have done this in my Malediction by utilizing 3 Inertia Stabilizers II modules)  A passed a few other ships along the way, but made it safely to the monument and fulfilled my desire to experience this piece of Eve history.  I can't say if others will find a trip here worthwhile or not, but I'm glad I took a night to go check it out.

5 comments:

  1. Warp core stabs wouldn't have saved you: https://zkillboard.com/kill/43856957/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,

    Glad you had fun last night. We did too.

    We don't think Warp Stabs would have saved you either. If our gate camp hadn't been broken up with a fight, we might have even had an easier time picking you off again.
    https://zkillboard.com/kill/43860799/

    The conceptual problem with your fit, in our opinion, is that the plate and the nanos work against each other. The plate is probably never going to be enough tank to be useful against a gatecamp.

    What a lot of people do is test fits on EFT to get their align time under 1.9s

    Why not join Test Alliance? We'll teach you to swim in Null like a diseased fish in the radioactive ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the replies. I will take them under advisement.

      Delete
    2. Hes to busy failing to stop Code to join a null sec alliance XD

      Delete
  3. Just for your information: As Eggshell said, when you want to travel through 0.0, the safest way is to do this in an Interceptor with under 2.0 seconds align time. If you can align in under two seconds, you can´t be pointed by ANYTHING, due to the way the server works. (If you want to know more about this I would recommend watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2k1UOw_Urc
    If you use a fitting that is showed in the video, you are 95% safe, if you only want to travel (You can still die to smartbombs or disconnects, but that does not happen that often...)
    Fly safe o/
    Poppi Starfox

    ReplyDelete